Sunday, January 18, 2009

baking and kids?

I never thought I would have children interested in cooking/baking.  Let alone that I would let them help!  When the kids were young, I found it just easier to do it all without their help.  Why would I want 6 little feet and legs in my way!  But now that they are older, I have found it a joy!

Brian is my mashed potato maker.  If you have never had his potatoes, you havent lived!  Not sure what he does to them, but he is an expert!  He was bored yesterday, so I let him help make bread. So now I can have him make our weekly bread.  Yeah right.  :)  He also made some refried beans, from scratch.  If you have never had homemade refried beans, you havent lived.  They are so much better than the canned stuff.  I try to make a large batch and put them in the freezer for the next month or so.  Anyway, Brian made our last batch, and he did a fabulous job!  Just as good as mom makes.  Any girl that gets him will be one lucky woman.  He will come ready to cook!  :)  

Becca has always loved to make cookies.  She makes a mean chocolate chip cookie.  If you want cookies, she is the one to go to.  She did help make bread yesterday too.  And enjoyed it.  Between Lara and Becca, she is the one most like me.  She loves to bake/cook, and she sews and knits!  What more can a mom ask for!

Lara will help with making dinner, if I ask her.  She makes a wonderfully light fluffy cake from scratch.  When I need a good cake, I ask her to make it!  Unfortunately she doesnt have much time lately for cooking/baking, with all of her music activities and of course friends.  She still is good to help make dinner when I need her too though.  

Tonight Becca decided that she wanted something to sweet to eat.  She noticed a pie crust in the fridge, and asked if she could make a pie.  She thought about a pumpkin pie, and then I mentioned the fact that we had lemons in the fridge that needed to be used.  So Bec, Brian and I all got our skills together, and I taught them how to make a lemon meringue pie.  I really love a good lemon pie, but I really dont like to make them, because they are not easy.  But with their help, it WAS easy!  Now we are just waiting for the pie to cool before we cut into it, and pig out.  My mouth is watering as I type.  

1 comment:

  1. everyone tells jenn how lucky she is jeremy is such a good cook..
    you would never believe the breakfast he made on christmas morning..
    oh my!! a feast made for 25 just of 5 of them, then 3 of us added to the mix..biscuits and gravy, pancakes french toast..eggs.. you name it they had it even fried eggs over easy!... well he cooks good..now i am hungry.
    for pie. love you

    ReplyDelete